Easter is the time of the year when cakes dominate our dining table. Be it a piece of chocolate cake for dessert or a nice piece of simnel cake with a hot cup of tea. Among the numerous flavours of cakes; The classic, Vanilla sponge cake wins the race every time. The simple cake that never fails to impress. This Easter, I choose Vanilla sponge cake, Blackberry Jam filling, decorated with marzipan. Let’s see how it is made.
Ingredients: Vanilla sponge cake
- 250g self-raising flour
- 250g reduced fat butter (softened, not melted)
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 eggs (optional)
- 2tbsp milk
- 2tbsp hot water
- 3 drops of Vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
Method for baking the cake: 40 minutes
- Preheat the oven at 160c, gas mark 3.
- Line the baking tins with parchment paper (if not, just grease the tins with butter).
- Cream the butter with caster sugar. Whisk the mixture, until it is pale and fluffy.
- Whisk the egg well with a fork and add it to the mixture.
- Add 3 drops of Vanilla extract to the and mix well.
- Gradually, add in the flour and fold into the smooth batter
- Finally, add in the milk and salt to the batter, and fold the batter gently.
- Batter should be in a drop consistency
- Pour the batter into the cake tin (leaving, enough room for the cake to rise)
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Variations for Eggless: Add buttermilk instead of egg. You will get nice a fluffy cake for sure. To avoid curdling, add milk at the last. As, milk and buttermilk could react.
Once the cake is done, leave it to cool down in a wire rack. Meanwhile, get the jam and icing ready for decorations.
Marzipan (Click here for recipe)
- Brush the cake with Blackberry jam.
- Jam acts as a gluing agent between cake and the icing.
- While the jam is still moist.
- Roll the marzipan into a round sheet of your desired thickness.
- Cover the cake with the marzipan sheet.
- Trim off the excess.
- Your cake base is ready.
Marzipan is malleable by texture. Hence, easy to make any shape out of it. Add food colours of your choice to the marzipan; start making shapes and let your creativity kick in.